[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Clayton Daley clayton.daley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:05:48 MST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:08 AM, Hynek Schlawack <hs at ox.cx> wrote:

> Are you talking about building Docker containers on the fly?
>

> I’m a bit baffled what gave you that idea after I’ve spent days arguing
> for strict build/runtime separation?

I was just trying to figure out where you were having this problem:

> ZFS and apt-get + lots of files in a deb = omgiwannamurdersomeone

I heard the opposite of what you meant by this comment -- that you were
deploying apt-gets + debs using docker and the combination had you wanting
to murder someone. A really sharp dev wrote our software, but did a poor
job sequencing Dockerfiles... and I had that exact same reaction.  My
question had nothing to do with build-runtime separation... just docker
optimization. On a dev (not ops) list, it didn't seem like a crazy question.

Obviously Glyph couldn't answer this question so his interjection came off
as condescendingly unhelpful.  Perhaps it's not an impression he deserves,
but he got off to a horrible start when he responded to my first ever
Twisted question (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22896993/persisting-
data-in-a-twisted-app) without bothering to add anything (sound familiar?).

I rarely interject because I'm no developer... just an entrepreneurial
jack-of-all-trades (masters in business, bachelors in business, minor in CS
-- albeit from Carnegie Mellon) that sometimes contributes to our
partly-Twisted product.  However, you've succeeded in making my unusual
perspective feel most unwelcome... so you'll be glad to know that you're
never going to have to suffer me again.