[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at crossbario.com
Fri Feb 24 03:25:50 MST 2017

> Honestly, in the years I’ve been running Python services of different sizes, I have found that distro-provided system packages – unless you are writing software *for* a distribution – are loaded with so many downsides that they’re almost never worth it.  They’re a shortcut and shortcuts usually bite back *eventually*.

Absolutely.

Distro Python module packages are useless to dangerous most of the time.

Eg Debian jessie is shipping Autobahn in a >3 years old version (0.5.14).

 From my perspective, Debian is hurting Autobahn's users this way - but
we (upstream) cannot stop them distributing old outdated artifacts.

The whole idea of having a "system wide" Python installation is
technically wrong and bound to fail IMO.

FWIW, I am in the Go/Rust camp: shipping single executables that are
statically linked down to and including OpenSSL _and_ the C/C++ stdlibs.

It's just awesome to "scp etcd" from a CentOS 6 to a Ubuntu 16 or
whatever and it "just works".

I have tried different approaches to get there with larger Python
projects, but haven't found the equivalent to Go/Rust yet.

Apart from that: Ubuntu has broken new ground with snapcraft - this is
much better than debs .. it puts upstream into power gain. Let upstream
talk directly to users, kicking out distro package "maintainers".

Anway, just my 2cts

/Tobias