[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Feb 23 15:24:08 MST 2017

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 4:04 AM, James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23 February 2017 at 08:36, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
> Go's build toolchain has many features worth envying but most of its advantages have to do with deployments _outside_ of containers, where you have to ship to customer environments with fraught and unknown system configurations.  If you have any level of control over your deployment target, Go and, say, Python with PEX are ~equivalent .
>
> I was going to chime in about pex earlier - but since you need to provide your own interpreter, I didn't think it solved his whole issue.

Fully static binaries / integrated interpreters would be a good target for build tooling to hit, but I do think that (especially if you know your deployment platform) relying on _nothing_ but a Python interpreter, pex in any specific Linux environment is probably doable.

> Otherwise, pex is a great format for deploying python easily.

Yep.

> At Twitter, we deployed the (Twisted) TweetDeck API using it for years, with a ton of dependencies, both c-libs and pure python.

This is good to know!

> Really nice to be able to produce a deployable artefact, which can be hashed & stored for re-deploy later if needed (and ideally integration-tested & staged by passing different args on the cli).

I originally felt like the lack of an interpreter made it useless, and I think I was very much mistaken.  Moshe has been showing me all the problems that pex can address, and I'm slowly starting to adopt it in my own deployments.

-glyph