[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 05:12:08 MST 2017

On 23/02/17 09:11, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> Yes, and building these binary artifacts is often harder than some
> people (cough, alpine, cough) seem to think.  But there are better ways
> to square this circle than restricting yourself to the versions of
> /python/ libraries that happen to be available in your distro.

I don't disagree. I'm not defending the practice. But it is *clearly* a
thing people do, and understanding the reasons is, IMO, important.

> Windows, the reason they're not shipping manylinux1 wheels right now has
> to do with the political implications of auto-shipping a second copy of
> openssl to Linux distros that expect to manage security upgrades centrally).

Understandable. I'm sure anyone who was around at the time remembers the
zlib fiasco.

> It might seem weird to use Python-specific tooling and per-application
> vendoring for Python dependencies, and yet use distro-global dynamic
> linking for C dependencies.  But, this is actually a perfectly cromulent
> strategy, and I think this bears a more in-depth explanation.

It's not at all weird. It's exactly what we do, and I agree with your
rationale.