[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Feb 23 01:34:08 MST 2017

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:35 AM, Steve Waterbury <waterbug at pangalactic.us> wrote:
>
> On 02/22/2017 12:23 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> On 22/02/17 15:00, Steve Waterbury wrote:
>>
>>> Have you considered the 'conda' package manager?
>>
>> I've never come across it. It looks too big for me to give a quick
>> opinion on, but I'll bear it in mind. Thanks for the pointer.
>
> "Anaconda" is huge; conda is not.  You can get conda
> by installing "Miniconda":
>
> https://conda.io/miniconda.html
>
> The 64-bit bash Miniconda installer for Linux, for example, is
> about 28 MB, and includes just Python (either 2 or 3) with
> conda and its dependencies, and includes pip in case you want
> to use a package that is not yet available in the conda
> package channels -- 'pip install' works in a conda environment.
>
> (The only reason to install Anaconda, which includes over 100
> scientific Python packages, is if you are developing an app
> that requires a lot of Numpy or SciPy libraries.)

It is "huge" in the sense that it is a parallel universe to your normal Linux distribution though; you need to install duplicate versions of various C libraries in multiple locations, whereas pip & virtualenv allow you the flexibility of "package everything as a static generic manylinux1 wheel for portability" or "depend on dynamically linked libraries in your operating system" depending on your deployment preferences.

-glyph