[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Feb 23 01:31:58 MST 2017

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:17 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 22/02/17 13:06, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>
>> Ah!  They are now, maybe you haven't seen them?
>>
>> Check out https://github.com/pypa/manylinux and
>> https://github.com/pypa/python-manylinux-demo
>
> I had not seen this. Thanks, this looks like a big leap forward.
>
>> A lot of people seem to be thinking that way.  /Personally/, with my
>> experience with Go (about five months solid at previous employer), I
>> wouldn't go anywhere near that stack.  There are plenty of
>> /other /things with appealing features that Python lacks which would
>> seem to make a better move. :)
>
> Very possibly!
>
> Go as a language leaves me cold, and there are downsides to the one-big-binary approach. But it's undeniably easy to deploy in a container, and the concurrency is very attractive.

Python is easier to deploy in a container than you might think.  Check out this three-line Dockerfile from Moshe Zadka (which, by the way, deploys Twisted...):

https://moshez.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/belt-suspenders-why-put-a-pex-file-inside-a-docker-container/ <https://moshez.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/belt-suspenders-why-put-a-pex-file-inside-a-docker-container/>

-glyph