[Twisted-Python] Removing support for old Python 3 versions

Tom Most tommost at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:09:43 MST 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Amber Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net>
wrote:

> As such, I would like to remove support for these Python versions. Using
> recent statistics (https://langui.sh/2016/12/09/data-driven-decisions/)
> we can infer that Python 3.3 is on the whole uncommon, despite it being the
> default Python 3 for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. We can further infer that adoption
> of new major versions of Python 3 (Python 3.5 was barely a year old by the
> time of these stats and yet dwarfed 3.4) is rapid, and so it seems only the
> latest two or so are worth supporting.

The default in Ubuntu 14.04 is actually Python 3.4.  (12.04 shipped with
3.2, and 16.04 has 3.5.)

Due to this, I am writing new Twisted code which targets 2.7 + 3.4 right
now.  I'm not opposed to deprecating Python 3.4, though. Ubuntu 14.04 ships
with a version of Python 2.7 that lacks SNI, so I want to shift to 16.04
ASAP anyway.