[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Wed Feb 22 10:42:43 MST 2017

>> I don’t see how that’s tedious since a compute does that for me.
>> Although I don’t see any value at wheeling them (and some packages
>> cannot be wheeled); my CI builds a venv and puts it into a container.
>> There’s nothing tedious about it at all.
> I find the idea of running throwaway environments to generate a big blob of tarball'd python+libs, then copying said tarball to actual containers, a rather retrograde step by comparison with established package/build infrastructure tools.

I have to disagree here:  I don’t want build tools of any kind in my final containers therefore I build my artifacts separately no matter what language.  Of course you can just build the venv on your build server without wheeling up a temporary container and then package it using Docker or DEB or whatever.  You should be separating building and running anyway so Python – as much as I’d like Go-style single binaries too – is in no way special here.  The nice thing about temporary containers though is that I can do all of that on my Mac.

—h