[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Wed Feb 22 10:38:20 MST 2017

>>> So my problem is that while my protocol stack spins up very nicely and trivially easy using the twistd daemon, the standard python3-twisted package for 14.04 is waaaay behind and doesn't include twistd (!), and I haven't found a good backport.  I'd also like to avoid doing things that make life hard for DevOps, such as pip3 installing and risking a package manager fight.
>>
>> The general solution to this problem is "don't use the system Python environment to deploy your applications".
>>
>> This is what virtualenv is for.
>
> Yes, well, the standard practice around here is to wrap up deliverables in a .deb so that the DevOps tools can do automated deploys.  I suppose it is possible to wrap up a venv in a .deb, but I’ve never done looked into it. Pointers welcome.

https://github.com/spotify/dh-virtualenv <https://github.com/spotify/dh-virtualenv> and https://hynek.me/articles/python-app-deployment-with-native-packages/ <https://hynek.me/articles/python-app-deployment-with-native-packages/> come to mind.

N.B. the article is by me and I’m currently migrating to Docker/Nomad.  But it served us very well for many years.