[Twisted-Python] Python3 twistd daemon for Ubuntu 14.04 alternatives

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Wed Feb 22 05:49:47 MST 2017

>> I'm tempted to launch into a diatribe about namespacing, containers, and
>> application isolation generally, but before I do - why is it that you
>> /want/ to use the system Python environment?  Had you just not
>> considered the option of virtual environments?
> Awesome though it is, virtualenv can be very tedious if you need to install hundreds of megabytes of compiler and -devel packages. System packages are attractive precisely because you can avoid this.

That’s why you should use a build server and not ship build environments.

> I've had to do all sorts of tedious things with containers where I spin up a temporary container to build a bunch of .whl files, then actually install them in the final container - all to avoid bloating the container image with the build tools.

I don’t see how that’s tedious since a compute does that for me.  Although I don’t see any value at wheeling them (and some packages cannot be wheeled); my CI builds a venv and puts it into a container.  There’s nothing tedious about it at all.

> It's a real shame that binary wheels on Linux/PyPI aren't a thing.

This is incorrect.