[Twisted-Python] Twisted 17.1 Release Announcement

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Feb 15 01:39:22 MST 2017

> On Feb 11, 2017, at 5:54 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Amber Hawkie Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net <mailto:hawkowl at atleastfornow.net>> wrote:
> On behalf of Twisted Matrix Laboratories, I am honoured to announce the release of Twisted 17.1!
>
> The highlights of this release are:
>
> - twisted.web.client.Agent now supports IPv6! It's also now the primary web client in Twisted, with twisted.web.client.getPage being deprecated in favour of it and Treq.
> - twisted.web.server has had many cleanups revolving around timing out inactive clients.
> - twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions has had its `method` argument deprecated, in favour of the new raiseMinimumTo, lowerMaximumSecurityTo, and insecurelyLowerMinimumTo arguments, which take TLSVersion arguments. This allows you to better give a range of versions of TLS you wish to negotiate, rather than forcing yourself to any one version.
> - twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions will use OpenSSL's MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS, which will let it free unused memory that was held by idle TLS connections.
> - You can now call the new twist runner with `python -m twisted`.
> - twisted.conch.ssh now has some ECDH key exchange support and supports `hmac-sha2-384`.
> - Better Unicode support in twisted.internet.reactor.spawnProcess, especially on Windows on Python 3.6.
> - More Python 3 porting in Conch, and more under-the-hood changes to facilitate a Twisted-wide jump to new-style classes only on Python 2 in 2018/2019. This release has also been tested on Python 3.6 on Linux.
> - Lots of deprecated code removals, to make a sleeker, less confusing Twisted.
> - 60+ closed tickets.
>
> For more information, check the NEWS file (link provided below).
>
> You can find the downloads at <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted>> (or alternatively <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Downloads <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Downloads>>). The NEWS file is also available at <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/twisted-17.1.0/NEWS <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/twisted-17.1.0/NEWS>>.
>
> Many thanks to everyone who had a part in this release - the supporters of the Twisted Software Foundation, the developers who contributed code as well as documentation, and all the people building great things with Twisted!
>

> Thanks all!  Great to see the troubles of 16.7 mostly behind us.

Yes, thanks!  Lots of good stuff in this release!

> I do hope there will be at 17.1.1 soon for <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9031 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9031>> and particularly <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9032 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9032>>.

This is a little outside the normal process, but I added a milestone for these just so we have a thing to track when they're fixed and we should roll them up (and in case anything new appears):

https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/milestone/17.1.1 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/milestone/17.1.1>

Something I should note about these regressions; they showed up as soon as Mimic upgraded its dependency: https://github.com/rackerlabs/mimic/pull/734 <https://github.com/rackerlabs/mimic/pull/734>

This suggests to me that we really ought to have a more "active" phase of the release process where someone - let's say, the reviewer of the release ticket - goes out to check a select list of other projects' smoke tests to ensure that the prerelease is at least passing their CI.  For example, I would normally have tested Mimic myself, but I was out of commission with a nasty flu-like thing for a good chunk of the prerelease period, but since I happened to miss that window, well-known projects (heck, treq has its own tests for .testing, and those broke, and it's in the twisted org!) managed to break without getting noticed.

So, while it would be good if user projects reported breakages, we should be checking at least the most obvious parts of the integration ecosystem ourselves as part of the release process.

-glyph