[Twisted-Python] Some things I've learned: safer callbacks, better t.p.context

Kevin Conway kevinjacobconway at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 17:05:08 MDT 2016

> This is why twisted.python.context came to exist in the first place; I
always wanted to attach it to Deferred somehow

Well, it's not something we've announced yet through any official channel,
but we had to solve the context propagation problem at Atlassian to
instrument our services with traceable logging. We open sourced our
solution at https://bitbucket.org/hipchat/txlocal. The answer for us was an
extension for the reactor, thread pool, and inline callbacks that maintain
the needed state. There's a readme with some insight into how we tool our
services.

We've had it on our backlog to address the mailing list and, possibly even,
discuss what it would take to put this into Twisted. I guess now is as good
if a time as any. Feel free to spin off a another thread or reach out to me
off list with any questions or feedback.