[Twisted-Python] Twisted 16.6.0rc1 Release Candidate Announcement

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Tue Nov 22 16:14:23 MST 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 at 23:37 Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> This is the part that I'm worried about.  It kinda seems like we're moving
> toward "native string" being the type used in IRCClient, and *that* is
> capital-W Wrong.  Native strings are for Python-native types only, i.e.
> docstrings and method names.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, we're not "moving towards" it, we have *already
arrived*: IRCClient deals in str (bytes) on Python 2, and str (unicode) on
Python 3. Even if we want a unicode API, having it only exist on Python 3
seems incredibly confusing from a user standpoint, and would appear to
require some absurd contortions to write client code that behaves
approximately the same on both Python 2 and 3.