[Twisted-Python] overview: new review queue venue

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun May 22 00:55:24 MDT 2016

> On May 21, 2016, at 11:42 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
> I realize it can feel like that sometimes, but Google Analytics suggests the large majority of our visitors (45%) are on Windows.  By contrast, 0.05% are on FreeBSD.  Granted, that's a very high percentage of FreeBSD clients for the Internet at large, but nevertheless, I think your perspective may be slightly statistically skewed.
>
> Isn't Google Analytics just telling you what type of OS + web browser is being used to access the twistedmatrix.com <http://twistedmatrix.com/> web site?
> That isn't the same as telling you who actually uses Twisted in a project or a piece of code.

Sure, it's not perfect.  But even assuming only 1% of Windows desktop users are actually running any of their Twisted code on Windows, and 100% of FreeBSD users are, that's still roughly 9x as many Windows users as FreeBSD.  I think that's probably a pretty conservative estimate.

> Unfortunately, FreeBSD isn't well represented in the third party CI systems out there such as Travis.
> It would be nice if it was, but it isn't.  That's a judgment call that the Twisted project needs to make whether
> to support its own buildbots or not, in order to support configurations not supported by third party CI systems.

One of the other interesting questions here, beyond "do we want to support it or not" (I think we do want to continue supporting it, in the sense that we want to fix bugs that affect it) is how often FreeBSD breaks; if 99.99% of the time, a change that works on Windows, OS X, and Linux works on FreeBSD, maybe we can still have some FreeBSD CI, but not make it a gating part of the review process.  We can run it periodically, before each release, and in the exceedingly unlikely case that FreeBSD broke, we can roll back the change after the fact.

-glyph