[Twisted-Python] overview: new review queue venue

Amber "Hawkie" Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Sun May 22 00:36:14 MDT 2016

> On 22 May 2016, at 14:32, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 21, 2016, at 11:21 PM, Amber Hawkie Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On 22 May 2016, at 14:15, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  I know that PRs are presently a potential alternative to a diff, and that we are still using Trac for ticketing.  I want to make it possible to avoid using Trac for ticketing; perhaps switching to github issues entirely.
>>
>> This is an optimistic idea but one that, unfortunately, won't happen yet ;)
>>
>> The things GitHub Issues need to be competitive with Trac as it stands:
>>
>> - Allowing triage by people without write.
>
> How are things currently "triaged"?  Do you mean "review"?  If so, I think it would be acceptable to come up with a magic comment for a non-commiter to use to signify that they've fully reviewed a PR.  As it stands, we need committers to "accept" a review by deciding to merge, the only difference here is that it would remain in the review queue until they did so, which I think is acceptable (since if the review isn't accepted, it should have remained in the queue anyway).  We could also have a bot address this edge-case somehow.

Creating a ticket, adding it to the relevant milestone (commit required on GitHub), setting the component (which would be a tag on github, requires commit)...

>> - Useful search (GitHub search is kind of abysmal)
>
> I don't see how Trac's is better.

It has a GUI rather than being stringly typed ;)

>> - Assigning to non-committers.
>
> Honestly I'm not sure that the non-committer assignment part of the workflow is all that useful.  I know I hardly ever look at report 7, and I very much doubt any non-committer does :).  It's not like we're losing information, either; we still have a record of whose fork the PR points to.

I look at report 7 :(

>> Without these things (and quite a few more), it's unlikely that GitHub Issues will be as useful to us.
>
> I am curious about the "quite a few more".  There are things which we really need as a critical part of our workflow (primarily: the review queue) and then there are accidents of the way trac works.  Nothing is graven in stone here :).

I guess there's a lot of things that are an accident of trac, but the things above are useful.