[Twisted-Python] [ALL OK] [INFRASTRUCTURE OUTAGE] Moving from SVN to Git

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.net
Tue May 10 13:21:02 MDT 2016

On Tue, 10 May 2016 at 20:38 Paweł Miech <pawelmhm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Amber,
>
> > we've moved to https://github.com/twisted/twisted as our
> "authoritative" mirror.
>
> are there any consequences of this for Twisted users and/or casual
> contributors?  I used github source for a while not knowing it was not
> "authortiative" mirror, it always seemed fresh and updated.

The git mirror has been updated from the Subversion repository on commit
for quite a while, so it was up to date, it just wasn't the correct place
for committers to push changes to; this is what has changed now.

I just got done editing a bunch of the wiki pages about the development
process, primarily https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedDevelopment —
so hopefully it should be clearer how to proceed now.

> I remember some discussion on mailing list about moving issue tracking to
> github, is today's migration part of this process? Are there plans to
> accept pull requests on github?

The main remaining problem with pull requests is that a committer has to
push a branch to the main repository in order to run builds on the
buildbots; this is due to issues around executing arbitrary code on the
buildbots. Thus a PR-based workflow for non-committers currently doesn't
make much sense.

Issue tracking remains on Trac, at least for the forseeable future
(implementing our workflow with GitHub issues is quite challenging).