[Twisted-Python] Can't identify protocol

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Mar 8 19:23:39 MST 2016

> On Mar 8, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Matilda Bernard <serah4291 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So netstat doesn't show them but lsof does and our allocated file descriptors keep increasing and the FDs have the description "can't identify protocol"

My guess would be that that means the file descriptor is open, but not connected to anything; which would mean that it's been left open so long that the OS has cleaned up the underlying network resources (perhaps via shutdown(2)?).

I've never seen this, personally, and my understanding of Twisted's transport mechanism is that it would be impossible unless the reactor were completely frozen for a very long period of time (4+ minutes, at least).  What operating system and version are you running?

-glyph