[Twisted-Python] Responding to PRs

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue Jun 14 06:20:52 MDT 2016

On 13 June 2016 at 22:35, Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 4:20 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Is there a wiki page, a ticket or some place where switching to the
> 'review queue' as GitHub PR list is discussed or brainstormed?
>

> Thus far all discussion has been on the mailing list.  I feel like putting
> it on the wiki would not be that useful, though; hopefully the discussion
> will continue for at most another month or two, and it's mostly just a
> question of coming to consensus about how exactly we're going to use the
> queue and model discrete review/resubmit events than doing a bunch of work.
>  https://github.com/markrwilliams/txghbot is probably most of what we
> need already, perhaps with one or two slight tweaks?

OK. Thanks!

I was not sure if the github bot technical decision was taken.

I was not sure if we made a decision for labels vs PR state.

I am -1 for closing a PR as a way of saying: changes are pretty good but a
few tests are missing :)

---------

I am +1 on using labels/keywords in GitHub but I am not sure what will be
the relation between the Trac tickets and the PRs?
Will there be links between them?
Will the Trac tickets be migrated to GitHub Issues?

---------

In case it helps, for my project I am doing it in another way.

I am not suggesting that Twisted should use the same process, but maybe it
can help to get an idea of how this can be done.

The code for the bot is here https://github.com/chevah/github-hooks-server
... and it uses Trac via xml-rpc

The tickets are hosted in Trac, but I have implemented a Trac ticket
workflow. I can share the Trac configuration.

Instead of adding the 'review' keyword, a ticket is actually placed in a
'need_review' state... and instead of removing the 'review' keyword and
assigning the ticket back the ticket can either go into a
'changes_approved' state ... or in a 'need_more_work' state.

Each PR has an associated ticket in Trac.

I have 'needs-review', 'changes-approved' and 'needs-changes' keyword for
managing the ticket state via GitHub PR comments.
The bot also update the "branch" Trac field with a link to the latest PR
associated with a Trac ticket

You can see an example here for the GitHub side
https://github.com/chevah/python-package/pull/54 ... the Trac side is
private but I can share a screenshot if required.

The bot is briefly described here
http://styleguide.chevah.com/review.html#overview-of-the-github-and-trac-integration

Regards,
--