[Twisted-Python] Regarding moving on with ticket #7934 (New Logging System)

Eeshan Garg jerryguitarist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:54:42 MDT 2016

Hello again!

I am fully aware that it has been a _very_ long time since I mentioned that
I would get on with <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7934>, but I
haven't really had the time to actually do anything about it. :-/

I would love to work on more tickets like <
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7897> and help port Twisted to the
new logging system and kind of get back into the flow of submitting patches
and contributing to Twisted again (I miss it so much!!).

My main concerns about moving on with #7934 after my last patch have
already been reported by hawkowl in <
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7983>. However, it was a bit unclear
to me from the discussions in 7983 as to how to move forward. It would mean
a lot to me if someone who is working on this right now (or glyph or
hawkowl) could please give me a couple of pointers as to what should be
done with the "self.log" issue for porting existing code to the new logging
system.

- Should I declare a log attribute for an entire module to use?

- Should I rewrite my new patch around hawkowl's suggestion in 7983, use
_loggerFor for everything? If so, how do you refer to the Logger instance
to compare the log_logger in the event dict with what is expected (since
asserting everything in the event dict, including log_logger is crucial for
optimum test coverage)?

- Or is there another way I should be searching for? Has anything changed
since 7983 was filed? :-)

I have already started working on the other suggestions put forth by the
reviewers (such as context managers for capturing log events, etc.).
Looking forward to contributing more!

Regards,
Eeshan Garg