[Twisted-Python] Porting PB to python3

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Fri Jun 10 13:39:20 MDT 2016

Hi,

I reviewed your branch:
https://github.com/wrohdewald/twisted/commits/spread-py3-7598/twisted

In my opinion, that branch has two categories of Python 3 porting:

Category 1: Minor
  -> these are "minor" fixos, such as dealing with xrange -> range

Category 2: Major
   -> you have done a lot of work to deal with bytes versus unicode strings

I hope you haven't lost interest in this, and are still willing to push
forward.
I would recommend that if you can separate out the minor fixes
into separate GitHub pull requests and separate Trac tickets, then do that.

If you see: https://github.com/twisted/twisted/commits/trunk

you will see I have submitted a lot of pull requests + trac tickets of
"minor"
Python 3 fixes, and those have successfully been reviewed and merged
by Twisted committers.

Dealing with bytes versus unicode strings will take longer to review,
because it is more advanced.  That is why I recommend separating
out the "minor" fixos if you can.

The other think I would recommend is if you do periodic merges
from trunk to your branch, since a lot of new Python 3 fixes have gone into
trunk in the past few weeks.

--
Craig