[Twisted-Python] RFC: IPv6 multicast join/ticket 6597

Jason Litzinger jlitzingerdev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 21:44:41 MDT 2016

> Nothing specific, although any conclusions drawn on the mailing list, or any specific thoughts you have about how you're going to proceed, are always helpful to record on the ticket for future reference.  Even if you think you're going to get it done in the next couple of days, chances are you'll take an 18 month hiatus in the middle and it's always helpful to have those notes to come back to :).

Agree completely, done.

> Smaller patches are better.  What do you want to 'update' about it?  If it's an independent change, just submit a different ticket and it will probably land quickly if it's an obvious fix.
It isn't so much update as I think it is equally broken for IPv6.  If I'm not misunderstanding my reference (UNPv3), socket.IP_MULTICAST_TTL is specific to IPv4, while IPV6_MULTICAST_HOPS is required for v6.  I attempted to use the former in some IPv6 test code and, surprise surprise, inspecting the IP header revealed it didn't work.  Using the latter worked.

Regardless, I agree, smaller patches keep things sane, I'll put this on the queue after joinGroup.

Thanks,
-Jason