[Twisted-Python] RFC: IPv6 multicast join/ticket 6597

Jason Litzinger jlitzingerdev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 00:00:07 MDT 2016

> Thanks for taking this up!
No problem, do I need to reflect anything in the Ticket to indicate I'm
looking at it?

> 'twisted.internet.udp', as an importable module; not 'udp' as a feature of Twisted (or of the Internet, for that matter).
My question was poorly phrased, I assumed that it was the module that
was problematic, and wondered if anyone was working on an alternative
where this is better suited.

> We have explicitly avoided adding IPv6 name resolution to the reactor because the reactor's API for name resolution is fundamentally the wrong shape for IPv6.  If you want to add the ability to resolve IPv6 names to the reactor itself, please see this ticket: https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4362 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4362>
>
> For the purposes of this ticket alone, you should probably just skip resolution in _joinAddr1 if resolution is

I assume you mean skip resolution in joinGroup as well?  That's the only
way to avoid resolve completely.

Additionally, any objections to me updating setTTL in this patch?  It's
pretty common to set the hop limit when doing a multicast.  Not
required, but common.

> Testing multicast is ... challenging.  I barely have any idea how to set up a test environment for IPv4, and no idea what to do for IPv6.  If you can speak to this in your tests (and hopefully docs as well) that would be super helpful.

Indeed.  I have an interest beyond the scope of this change so I'll see
what I can do/find.

Thanks!
-Jason Litzinger