[Twisted-Python] Request for help with Twisted bindings in M2Crypto

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Mon Jul 25 03:33:20 MDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 2:03 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at cepl.eu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would somebody raise up their hand to help me and help Twisted?

Hi,

Earlier this year, I contributed lots of patches to you in M2Crypto to port
it to py3k.
Now I have shifted efforts to Twisted, where in the past month I have
contributed hundreds of patches to help improve py3k support in Twisted.

I'm not sure I have much bandwidth to help more on M2Crypto, but I'll give
advice where I can.

Twisted code is definitely not py3k clean in the parts where it interacts
with OpenSSL.

For example, if you do the following in a Python 3 virtual environment:

pip install pyOpenSSL
git clone https://github.com/twisted/twisted twisted_test
cd twisted_test
python -Wall -bb bin/trial twisted.test.test_sslverify

The tests will pass, but you will get warnings like:

twisted/internet/_sslverify.py:1648: DeprecationWarning: str for buf is no
longer accepted, use bytes
twisted/internet/_sslverify.py:1652: DeprecationWarning: str for
cipher_list is no longer accepted, use bytes
twisted/internet/_sslverify.py:1791: DeprecationWarning: str for
cipher_list is no longer accepted, use bytes

Getting correct usage of  bytes vs. str is really important on py3k.  I've
observed weird errors when it isn't correct.

--
Craig

--
Craig