[Twisted-Python] Twisted tests on public CI

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jul 20 15:36:02 MDT 2016

> On Jul 20, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We now have Ubuntu / Windows Server and OS X running Twisted tests for each PR, using Travis-CI and Appveyor
>
> Non-`Twisted GitHub Team` members can now run a pretty extensive test suite for commits associated with a PR.
>
> The coverage report is 90.52% (+/- 0.01%) just by running tests on the public CI.
> As far as I can tell this is better than what we get with Buildbot builders (since we no longer have BSD slaves and Win7 coverage reporter is broken and Win2012 slave was removed)

It seems like the only thing that Buildbot is now covering which this setup is not is alternate kernels, which have not diverged in behavior from Twisted's perspective for 7 or 8 years.  I am starting to wonder if we could get rid of the entire current buildbot environment with all its complicated trust issues and just start over with the parts that we actually want: on-demand, latent FreeBSD and Windows builders, for example.  This is a tricky problem, but if it's the *only* thing we're trying to get buildbot to do it's a lot simpler to start there.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though ;).

> Some tests on Appveyor are still failing. Help here is much appreciated.
>
> We also got some tests failing on OS X but Amber has already started working to fix them https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8639 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8639>
>
> OS X tests results will not block for now a merge, but you will have to wait for the OS X results. In this way we can see how much longer does a test run takes, now that we also have OS X.
>
> Appveyor was pretty fast in the last days... after the move to Rackspace.

I'm a little confused - does Appveyor run on Rackspace now, or do we run some component of Appveyor on Twisted's Rackspace account?

> Travis-CI was a bit slow on the free queue... not sure how fast is the payed queue :)
>
> Please report any issues here or on Twisted Infrastructure tracker https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid/issues <https://github.com/twisted-infra/braid/issues>
Thanks *again* for the sustained effort on improving the CI situation, Adi.  It seems like we're not quite there yet, but things are really starting to come together.

-glyph