[Twisted-Python] Coverage exceptions

Tom Prince tom.prince at ualberta.net
Mon Jul 4 12:56:08 MDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
> I would prefer to see the coverage reports for tests, even if we don't
> enforce 100% coverage.  Is a quick way to check that the test is executed on
> at least one builder.

I think this is definitely desirable.

> We are preaching the Ultimate Quality Development System (UQDS) (tm) but [...]

Reading through
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/UltimateQualityDevelopmentSystem
it doesn't actually say anything about linters or code coverage or warnings.
That isn't t to say that the things you suggest are not valuable,
just that calling a process that doesn't enforce all of those things
absolutely all the time
as "Almost Ultimate Quality Development System" is doing a disservice
to the idea.

I'll admit that I haven't read that as closely as I should, but
re-reading it now, I see:
"A reviewer reviews the completed work, and provides feedback: at
least one good thing about the work, at least one area that needs
improvement, and a judgement as to whether the good qualities
ultimately outweigh the bad, i.e. whether the branch should be
merged."
which explicitly allows for imperfections in the code, as long as
there is an overall improvement.

> [...] that test code is a 2nd class citizen [...]

It isn't necessarily that test code is a second class citizen,
but the purpose of the code is different that implementation code,
so the trade-offs that make sense in each context might not be the same.

-- Tom