[Twisted-Python] Request for help with Twisted bindings in M2Crypto

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Mon Jul 25 03:03:30 MDT 2016

Hello,

I took over a maintenance of (surprisingly) still quite popular M2Crypto
project in the last year. I have just released 0.25.0 which is my fifth
release during that time and I think we are slowly but surely moving
towards porting to py3k, cleaning up the code, etc.

I am now working on porting to py3k, but the biggest PITA for me (aside
from the Windows Pain™ ;)) is the Twisted integration module
(https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto/blob/python3/M2Crypto/SSL/TwistedProtocolWrapper.py).

1) I get bugs like https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto/issues/111 which
I have no idea how to solve, because I don't understand the deep magic
which Twisted seems to me, and I am not even sure that M2Crypto is in
fault here (not mentioning that I have a hard time to reproduce).

2) Even more pressing is that the Twisted module breaks my tests when
porting to py3k (https://travis-ci.org/mcepl/M2Crypto/jobs/146633964).
Given the opaque and complicated data types in Twisted, I see horribly
complicated task of diving into it in front of me and I am not eager.

3) Moreover, I would like to know how much interest there is in
maintaining the M2Crypto module for Twisted. I got some hope from
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TransportLayerSecurity which seems
like there is an interest in more complete OpenSSL bindings, but OTOH I
see on the list that Twisted now seems to use more and more of
Cryptography (why in the world somebody made such confusing name of
their project ...). Obviously the most simple way for me to be cutting
Twisted module from M2Crypto and let it be (although I am afraid I have
still some legacy users who would like to see it maintained, and given
that the legacy support is still the most important reason for
maintaining M2Crypto, I don't want to give up lightly).

Moreover, I am suspicious that for somebody who actually understands
Twisted, most of my problems are trivial and they could be solved
easily. So, before I start studying
http://krondo.com/slow-poetry-and-the-apocalypse/ (is there some better
tutorial from ground up for complete idiots?), I would like to solicit
help here for help with this module.

Would somebody raise up their hand to help me and help Twisted?

Best,

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Give a man a regular expression and he’ll match a string…
teach him to make his own regular expressions and you’ve got a man with
problems.
  -- yakugo in http://regex.info/blog/2006-09-15/247#comment-3022