[Twisted-Python] Twisted 16.3.0 Release Announcement

Amber Hawkie Brown hawkowl at atleastfornow.net
Wed Jul 6 06:41:37 MDT 2016

On behalf of Twisted Matrix Laboratories, I am honoured to announce the release of Twisted 16.3.0.

The highlights of this release are:

- The Git migration has happened, so we've updated our development documentation to match. We're now trialling accepting pull requests at github.com/twisted/twisted, so if you've ever wanted an excuse to contribute, now's the chance!
- In our steady shedding of baggage, twisted.spread.ui, twisted.manhole (not to be confused with twisted.conch.manhole!), and a bunch of old and deprecated stuff from twisted.python.reflect and twisted.protocols.sip have been removed.
- twisted.web's HTTP server now handles pipelined requests better -- it used to try and process them in parallel, but this was fraught with problems and now it processes them in series, which is less surprising to code that expects the Request's transport to not be buffered (e.g. WebSockets). There is also a bugfix for HTTP timeouts not working in 16.2.
- Twisted now has HTTP/2 support in its web server! This is currently not available by default -- you will need to install hyper-h2, which is available in the [h2] setuptools extras. If you want to play around with it "pip install twisted[h2]" (on Python 2, a bugfix release will make it available on Python 3) and add "h2" to your Site's acceptableProtocols.
- 53 tickets closed overall, including cleanups that move us closer to a total Python 3 port.

For more information, check the NEWS file (link provided below).

You can find the downloads at <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted> (or alternatively <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Downloads>). The NEWS file is also available at <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/twisted-16.3.0/NEWS>.

Many thanks to everyone who had a part in this release - the supporters of the Twisted Software Foundation, the developers who contributed code as well as documentation, and all the people building great things with Twisted!

Twisted Regards,
Amber Brown (HawkOwl)