[Twisted-Python] Windows spawnProcess - Child process inherits files and sockets (POSIX does not)

exvito here ex.vitorino at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 20:14:06 MST 2016

Hello all,

I filed https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7970 last summer while
focused on a particular project that was hit by it. Since then I had to
attend to other things and I'm now back to refocusing on that project.

The subject says most of it, but the ticket has more information, including
why this isn't an issue on Python >= 3.4 ( my project is on 2.7...) :/

Before submitting a patch for review, I'm looking for preliminary feedback,
assuming you agree that the Windows vs POSIX semantics should be the same
(if not, why?).

My patch calls a few Windows APIs via ctypes, however, as far as I can
tell, Twisted on Windows requires pywin32 and, recently, there has been
some discussion around dropping that dependency and moving towards
something based on cffi.

What would you say the way forward is? Should I submit the patch for review
anyway? Is there any other work that needs to be done first that I may
contribute to?

Thanks in advance for Twisted and for your feedback,
--
exvito