[Twisted-Python] Twisted 16.7.0rc1 Release Candidate Announcement

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Dec 29 06:27:44 MST 2016

> On Dec 28, 2016, at 15:20, John Santos <JOHN at egh.com> wrote:
>
> Seems to require a new Python module, Automat.

Good catch, that probably should have been announced at least a little :).

> (Not mentioned in the NEWS file, INSTALL, etc.)

Despite the fact that it would have been good to mention this particular dependency because its adoption is a new architectural direction for Twisted, in general we're actually planning to do less communication of dependencies in this way.  Right now, we have redundant listing of dependencies in a few places, but in the future, setup.py (or more specifically, "packaging metadata") will be the one, authoritative place that such things are listed.

> I found Automat 0.3.0 (with Glyph's fingerprints on it) at PyPI, but it only exists in .whl format.

Although you probably should just use the wheel, the fact that there was only a wheel was an oversight.  I've uploaded an sdist and pushed a corresponding tag (after making sure that the source files all matched, of course).

> Downloaded it, but I'm not sure what to do next.  [...] This is worrisome to me because I think this requires Internet access to pypi.python.org, which I have on my development and testing systems, but not on my production systems.  Everything else I've ever needed, I could download and install source files.

As Amber already explained, the ability to deploy offline is very much an important part of the pip/wheel ecosystem.  I went into some detail in one of my own blog posts on this: https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2015/03/docker-deploy-double-dutch.html <https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2015/03/docker-deploy-double-dutch.html>

Increasingly, we are assuming a pip-like packaging toolchain for dealing with Twisted's dependencies, so getting familiar with this stuff - pip, requirements.txt, pinning, virtualenv - is worthwhile.  (It'll make your life easier in more ways than one.)  It should handily meet all your requirements for security and flexibility, and if it doesn't, we have a good working relationship with the maintainers of all those tools so we'd like to hear about if it's a problem :).

> Having done this, my app seems to run fine (only quick sanity testing so far.)

Thanks for testing!

-glyph