[Twisted-Python] Twisted 16.7.0rc1 Release Candidate Announcement

John Santos john at egh.com
Wed Dec 28 16:20:27 MST 2016

Seems to require a new Python module, Automat.  (Not mentioned in the
NEWS file, INSTALL, etc.)  I found Automat 0.3.0 (with Glyph's
fingerprints on it) at PyPI, but it only exists in .whl format.
Downloaded it, but I'm not sure what to do next.  I was able to get it
working by downloading and installing get-pip.py and Automat (contrary
to the python.org documentation, I didn't have pip installed on my
system even though it is Python 2.7.13 downloaded from python.org.)
    sudo python get-pip.py
    sudo pip install Automat

This is worrisome to me because I think this requires Internet access to
pypi.python.org, which I have on my development and testing systems, but
not on my production systems.  Everything else I've ever needed, I could
download and install source files.

Having done this, my app seems to run fine (only quick sanity testing so
far.)

----install---
Searching for Automat>=0.3.0
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/Automat/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/Automat/: [SSL:
CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590) --
Some packages may not be found!
Couldn't find index page for 'Automat' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/
Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/: [SSL:
CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590) --
Some packages may not be found!
No local packages or working download links found for Automat>=0.3.0
error: Could not find suitable distribution for
Requirement.parse('Automat>=0.3.0')
------

---try to use without Automat---
medusa at Medusa:~/run> python medusa_server.py Rain
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "medusa_server.py", line 72, in <module>
     from twisted.application import service, internet
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Twisted-16.7.0rc1-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/application/internet.py",
line 54, in <module>
     from automat import MethodicalMachine
ImportError: No module named automat
------

On 12/22/2016 11:33 PM, Amber "Hawkie" Brown wrote:
> Hello everyone, and happy holidays!
>
> Although it didn't quite fall on the solstice, one could call this
> Twisted release a little ray of sunshine, with some nice new
> improvements. 16.7.0rc1 brings the following stocking stuffers:
>
> - twisted.web.client.Agent now supports IPv6! It's also now the
> primary web client in Twisted, with twisted.web.client.getPage being
> deprecated in favour of it and Treq.
> - twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions has had its `method`
> argument deprecated, in favour of the new raiseMinimumTo,
> lowerMaximumSecurityTo, and insecurelyLowerMinimumTo arguments, which
> take TLSVersion arguments. This allows you to better give a range of
> versions of TLS you wish to negotiate, rather than forcing yourself to
> any one version.
> - twisted.internet.ssl.CertificateOptions will use OpenSSL's
> MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS, which will let it free unused memory that was
> held by idle TLS connections.
> - You can now call the new twist runner with `python -m twisted`.
> - Conch has the beginnings of ECDH key exchange, and supports
> `hmac-sha2-384` in twisted.conch.ssh.
> - Better Unicode support in twisted.internet.reactor.spawnProcess,
> especially on Windows on Python 3.6.
> - More Python 3 porting in Conch, and more under-the-hood changes to
> facilitate a Twisted-wide jump to new-style classes only on Python 2
> in 2018/2019. This release has also been tested on Python 3.6 on Linux.
> - Lots of deprecated code removals, to make a sleeker, less confusing
> Twisted.
> - 20+ closed tickets.
>
> You can get the tarball and the NEWS file at
> https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/rc/16.7.0rc1/ , or you can try it
> out from PyPI:
>
>     python -m pip install Twisted==16.7.0rc1
>
> Please test it, and let me know how your applications fare, good or
> bad! If nothing comes up, 16.7 looks like it'll land just before the
> new year.
>
> With festive hoots,
>     Amber Brown

John Santos