[Twisted-Python] the right twisted base classes for my project

elguavas elguavas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:50:15 MST 2016

On 19/12/16 12:31, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

>> On Dec 18, 2016, at 5:05 PM, elguavas <elguavas at gmail.com
>>[...]
>> i've had a good look through the twisted docs and i'm thinking that
>> perspective broker is what probably i need, likely along with its
>> avatar functionality.
>>
>> is this a sensible way to go or am i overlooking something obvious?
>
> This is definitely sensible, but it's not really specific enough to nail
> down any longer answer.

ok, really the important part of what i now see was quite a long winded
ramble ;) was this:

 >> the clients need to be able to call functions on the server. the
 >> server needs to be able to return data to the clients and also to
 >> call
 >> functions back on specific clients, or subsets of clients, or all
 >> clients.

so calls in both directions and the server being able to identify deal
with _specific_ clients or a _specific subset_ of clients all clients.

this last parts are what seemed to fit with pb and avatar on my reading.

i'm not looking for any implementation details at this point, just
wanting to make sure i got off on the right foot using twisted, since it
has so many parts...

> The thing that you want to look at to make
> testing easy
> [...]
> eye on for that.)

cool, thanks.

>> (oh, and a last questionlet would be: if that would be the right parts
>> of twisted to use, what would that buy me above the other possibility
>> i'm considering, which is rewiriting using python's new asyncio stuff?)
>
> Twisted's event loop is already compatible with asyncio, so whatever you
> write should basically be compatible with it.  I would not worry about
> that right now :).

ok, nice to know. i'm also hoping the twisted pb stuff will accomplish
some of the lifting for me, ie that i won't have to go quite so low
level... i guess i'll see on that when i start to suck it. ;)