[Twisted-Python] Spurious commit/ticket links

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Dec 1 13:34:36 MST 2016

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Jean-Paul Calderone <
exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 1, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <
>> exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the last couple days I've noticed that there are a bunch of spurious
>> changes being made to tickets in the issue tracker.  These come from commit
>> messages that reference a GitHub PR that happens to match a ticket number
>> in trac.
>>
>> For example, https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/600#comment:11
>>
>> I guess this doesn't really hurt anything ... except it's dumping a
>> constant low level of garbage into the issue tracker and generating some
>> annoying emails (that end up having nothing to do with what the subject
>> suggests).
>>

>> This is, unfortunately, going to keep happening more frequently as the PR
>> numbers get higher and the corresponding Trac tickets get less sparse.
>>
>> The way I'd *like* to address it is to change the format of our commit
>> message to namespace Trac tickets differently; instead of just "#", using a
>> URL, like "Fixes https://tm.tl/1234".  I wouldn't even mind if we just
>> had to use the Trac wiki syntax for this, i.e. "Fixes [ticket:1234]" as
>> long as we could turn off the "#" syntax which Github also uses.
>>
>> However, this involves surgery within Trac's code, and for me personally,
>> the work required to find the relevant regexes and modify them is worse
>> than continuing to deal with the annoyance.  However, I would very much
>> appreciate it if someone else would take this on :-).
>>

> Where's the source for Twisted's trac deployment?  Is it actually possible
> to deploy modifications?  I'll take a look, if so.

https://trac.edgewall.org/browser/trunk/tracopt/ticket/commit_updater.py#L140
looks like the relevant regexp.  Removing the "#" branch would probably
produce the desired behavior.

However, also see
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommitTicketUpdater#Configuration.  I wonder
if commit_ticket_update_envelope would also fix it?  I don't think so
because I think these are just "references" not "commands", but I don't
know for sure.

Jean-Paul