[Twisted-Python] Twisted 16.4.0 Prerelease 1 Announcement

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Aug 13 17:33:58 MDT 2016

> On Aug 12, 2016, at 11:18 PM, Amber Hawkie Brown <hawkowl at atleastfornow.net> wrote:
>
> In a rare Twisted release double feature right after 16.3.1, I bring you the first prerelease of Twisted 16.4.0.
>
> This is a big release, the first after the Git migration has really kicked in! And so, here's what it brings us:
>
> - twist, a new command line tool for running Twisted plugins, similar to twistd but with a simpler, cleaner interface.
> - A new interface for Protocols, IHandshakeListener, which tells Twisted to tell the Protocol when the TLS handshake has been completed.
> - async/await support for Deferreds, allowing you to write Python 3.5+ coroutines using Twisted
> - Trial can be invoked with "python -m twisted.trial".
> - 35+ more modules ported to Python 3, and many many cleanups on the way to Python 3 on Windows support.
> - 240+ closed tickets overall.
>
> For more information, check the NEWS file (link provided below).
>
> As usual, it's available for download -- go here (https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/ <https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/>) to get the prerelease tarballs and the full NEWS file. If you want to install it right away, run:
>
>    pip install https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/Twisted-16.4.0rc1.tar.bz2 <https://twistedmatrix.com/Releases/pre/16.4.0pre1/Twisted-16.4.0rc1.tar.bz2>
>
> Please let me know if you have any issues, as well as if you don't! If everything works well, that's a good thing for me to know :)

This is a _lot_ of stuff.  I can only imagine what a mega-blockbuster release we are going to have once we have this level of investment but we are already _done_ with python 3 porting (a day which, at this clip, will come soon)!!!

Two minor points:

This release _also_ comes with setuptools console scripts.  That sounds a bit dull, but for those of you on Windows, the exciting consequence of this apparently mundane tweak is that that this is the first release to have programs like twistd (and the new 'twist'!) work properly at a Windows command line, without any special %PATHEXT% configuration!  setuptools/virtualenv/pip's .exe-stub generation makes .exe files that work more or less like regular Windows executables, and therefore integrate much better into the environment for all kinds of purposes.
I'm about to land the fix for <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8754>.  While not technically a regression, I believe we should have a pre2 for this; it would be sad for our first asyncioreactor release to be beset by random EPIPE tracebacks (even if asyncio itself would be without our help ;-)).

-glyph