[Twisted-Python] twisted.python.dist as a public API

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Aug 7 17:15:08 MDT 2016

> On Aug 7, 2016, at 4:03 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>

> On 7 August 2016 at 00:50, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> You always have to follow the compatibility process - if it's not a security bug, we would have to change the process first :-).  But if you want to follow the exception path rather than the deprecation path (this message doesn't qualify, because the subject is incorrectly formatted) I certainly don't have any objection.
>

> As pointed by Craig in the PR, dist3.py is used by https://github.com/habnabit/twisted-depgraph <https://github.com/habnabit/twisted-depgraph>. I will revert the dist3 change.

I should point out that the entire point of twisted-depgraph is to help Twisted developers - basically, you and Craig - understand the dependencies remaining and port more things to py3.  So I'm pretty sure Aaron would not mind at all if he had to update it :).  It's not really a user-facing application, just a core developer tool.

> With this email, I just wanted to get an initial feedback and try to understand why we have code split between setup.py and dist.py
>
> I will come back with an email following the compatibility process.
>
> Thanks!

No problem!  I have a little tool that imports dist3 myself, and it  is _super_ encouraging to see the percentages of ported code these days.

-g