[Twisted-Python] close to the finish line on hosted windows testing

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue Aug 9 06:28:52 MDT 2016

On 24 July 2016 at 20:07, Amber "Hawkie" Brown
<hawkowl at atleastfornow.net> wrote:
> Just a note; I've got both issues fixed on a branch and am just cleaning it
> up for review. Them, I would like to remove the (quite broken) Windows 7
> builder and just use appveyor.
>
> - Amber

Just an update on this.

We got a $130/month credit sponsored by MS for Azure VMs, including
Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 VMs.

Right now I don't have time to manage a Windows buildslave, but if
someone want to maintain the buildbot slaves on Windows I can take
care of creating the VM and give the required access and I can also
take care of updating the buildbot configuration.

The Appveyor build is pretty responsive and is available to anyone...
so hosted Windows is not a top priority.

I think that Appveyor only runs on a single Windows Server flavor...
so with Azure we can also have desktop flavors.

For security reasons Buildbot slaves are accessible only to the
Twisted team members, and this reduces their usefulness.

The goal is to have latent slaves starting from a snapshot and running
all PRs even if they are from forks.

If you are already running latest buildbot slaves on Azure and want to
share your infrastructure code, please let me know as it would be of
great help. I have never used Azure API and I am just starting to
learn how it works.

---------

Even if we don't run Azure VMs, the Azure account is of great help as
it makes it easier to publish the Windows wheels generated on Appveyor
using the Azure Blob storage

Many thanks to Microsoft for providing access to these VMs and for the
MSDN subscription.T

--
Adi Roiban