[Twisted-Python] RFC: IPv6 multicast join/ticket 6597

Jason Litzinger jlitzingerdev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 21:59:32 MDT 2016

> >> Testing multicast is ... challenging.  I barely have any idea how to set up a test environment for IPv4, and no idea what to do for IPv6.  If you can speak to this in your tests (and hopefully docs as well) that would be super helpful.
On that note, one effect of actually testing that a registered socket
receives data is that, if no interfaces are up, the tests are going to
start failing (passing tests).

The existing Multicast test class exibits the same behavior on my
machine if I take my interfaces down, so can I assume that this is an
acceptable constraint?  The constraint being that, if no network
interfaces are up, these tests are going to start failing, at least on
Linux.

I'm looking for a better option, but haven't found one as of yet.

Thanks!
-Jason Litzinger