[Twisted-Python] understanding IConsumer

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Sep 8 00:37:07 MDT 2015

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Roshan Cherian <cherian.rosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,

Hi Roshan!

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.  Busy week.

> I am sorry if this is coming off as a newbie question. Its probably because I don't understand it enough.

Newbie questions are fine, no need to apologize :).

You should not use connectTCP directly.  Use Endpoints: <https://twistedmatrix.com/documents/15.4.0/core/howto/endpoints.html <https://twistedmatrix.com/documents/15.4.0/core/howto/endpoints.html>>.  (But this doesn't affect the rest of your question.)

> 2. use the transport to write

Should be easy enough; `self.transport.write´.

> 3. Use consumer to read from the transport what the tcp server has written to

You don't need to use the producer / consumer API just to read from the transport.  The transport does this automatically, and calls your protocol's dataReceived method every time data is received from the transport.

> I wasn't able to find information on consumer and how it gets triggered when data is available especially in the case I have

I'm not sure what you mean about "how it gets triggered"; the producer and consumer APIs are documented here: <https://twistedmatrix.com/documents/15.4.0/core/howto/producers.html <https://twistedmatrix.com/documents/15.4.0/core/howto/producers.html>> but it would help if you could explain what exactly you're trying to achieve with them.

-glyph