[Twisted-Python] Handling upstream patches

Gavin Panella gavin at gromper.net
Sun Oct 18 07:10:34 MDT 2015

On 16 October 2015 at 17:50, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
[...]
> Canonical's IP policy is weird, and it is not clear to me that a patch
> necessarily has to be MIT licensed to be accepted into Ubuntu's
> Twisted, since Ubuntu itself is a commercial work.

Instinctively I would assume that Ubuntu would reject patches that would
also be rejected by upstream on licensing grounds. It's in Ubuntu's and
Canonical's interest to contribute upstream, and meddling with licenses
would hamper that. The "weird" IP policy thing might be about things for
which Canonical is the upstream, but I honestly don't know much about
that and definitely cannot speak authoritatively.

To confirm, LaMont -- who submitted the patch under question into Ubuntu
-- did ask our team's management, and the answer was that Canonical has
no interest in keeping that patch from going upstream, under whatever
license applies to Twisted.

Gavin.