[Twisted-Python] txmongo vs. pymongo + callInThread

Jonathan Vanasco twisted-python at 2xlp.com
Thu Oct 8 11:23:41 MDT 2015

On Oct 8, 2015, at 6:19 AM, bret curtis wrote:

> We're not sure about what OP has done, but if there is ever anything lacking in TxMongo... please open an issue/ticket with us over at:
> https://github.com/twisted/txmongo

Thanks for the reply!   I actually did open a few lowball tickets on TxMongo yesterday -- the package doesn't specify the minimum required versions for mongo or twisted.

I did some tests yesterday on PyMongo, and it seems like using it in deferToThread is safe.  I also ran some simulations on staging under a heavy load; no exceptions, everything passes, data is stored correctly.   The current pymongo "client" appears to be a threadsafe connection pool, and I can just grab a connection from it when needed in a thread.  Woo Hoo!

If the next version of this tool stays in Python, we'll definitely need to use TxMongo.  In the current design, we're already deferred to a thread and would have to restructure too much to use TxMongo.