[Twisted-Python] twisted/runner/inetdtap.py pyflakes warnings cleanup

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Nov 23 02:29:10 MST 2015

On 23 November 2015 at 03:13, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

[snip]

> Thank you.  This would be absolutely great.

https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8107 is waiting for review... and
should make this happen :)

> I would like to clean the inetdtap.py module of pylakes warning but since
> it is broken and has no tests, I have no idea what this code is expected to
> do and how end users are expecting to use it.
>

> The purpose of inetdtap is to provide an 'inetd'-like server, to allow
> Twisted to invoke other programs to handle incoming sockets.  This is a
> useful thing as a "networking swiss army knife" tool, like netcat.  In
> fact, it does work, after a fashion; I wrote a file like this:
>
> 8123       stream  tcp  wait glyph  /bin/cat -
>
> and then ran this:
>
> put a blank line into 'rpc.conf', and then ran:
>
> twistd -n inetd -f sampleinetd.conf -r rpc.conf
>

> and port 8123 properly became an echo server.
>
> Now, in order to do this, you need a /etc/services file (this is
> hard-coded) that can be parsed by ServicesConf, which is _extremely_ picky,
> and probably the one that your OS comes with is still broken anyway.  But
> this code *can* work if properly configured, and those parts can be fixed.
>
> I haven't run this recently, but partially only because I basically forgot
> it existed :).  Thanks for the reminder.

Is this info already present in the project?

If not I will try to put this info somewhere in the project

[snip]

> I hope my suggestion makes sense and is useful.  However if you'd really
> like to do the compat-breaking dance I won't object; I seriously doubt
> anyone is touching the RPC code.  I'd prefer you don't delete the whole
> module though.

Done https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8123

I will go with the deprecation part.

Thanks for the feedback.