[Twisted-Python] incompatible change - need revert before release

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Fri Nov 20 02:42:36 MST 2015

On 20 November 2015 at 10:32, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> > On Nov 20, 2015, at 12:08 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
> >
> > It was released before 15.4
> >
> > Twisted Web 15.2.0 (2015-05-18)
> > ===============================
> >
> > Features
> > --------
> >  - twisted.web.server.Site accepts requestFactory as constructor
> >    argument. (#7016)
> >
> > ----------
> >
> > Not sure if rollback is the right thing to do... but I have no idea how
> to proceed as any change will back the compatibility.
> >
> > I guess that we should just create a normal bug ticket and fix this issue
>
> Thanks for finding the changelog entry; sorry for the false alarm.
>
> If it's been in a release, then there's probably nothing to do.  It's a
> shame that this went out, but once a breakage like this has happened we
> have to live with it because otherwise, as you say, we'd be breaking
> compatibility for the people that already upgraded.  For those that need to
> support both versions, keyword arguments are the way to go.

Well, in public interfaces we could just stop mixing *args and **kwargs
with other arguments.

It is more work for maintainers, but as a library user I find it much
easier to see the exact args in the docs, rather than seeing  *args  /
**kwargs and then navigating the inheritance path to find out all supported
arguments.

--
Adi Roiban