[Twisted-Python] Migration to Git / GitHub

Jonathan Vanasco twisted-python at 2xlp.com
Wed Nov 18 12:19:52 MST 2015

On Nov 17, 2015, at 12:52 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

> I don’t disagree with the decision to not move to GitHub issues, however
> if you wanted to you could do what Golang did to minimize the data loss.
> They emailed prior participants to their bug tracker to ask them to grant
> their migration app an OAuth grant to post messages in their name. Anyone
> who did got the correct user account associated with their messages, and
> anyone who didn’t got the catch all golang migration bot.

That's a great partial solution.

On top of that I would suggest the following:

	Put the trac into read-only mode.
	Use the API to generate a "github wiki page" for each "trac user".
	When importing, create a "template" for migrated issues that cross-references to the original ticket and the wiki.  Something like this:
		** Migrated Issue **
		Original Trac Ticket (read-only): {{trac url}}
		AutoGenerated Author Wiki: {{github wiki url}}

		Original Body:
		{{body contents}}

		Original Comments (if any):

		{{format comments and link to the github wiki url}}

GitHub's wiki doesn't have normal API access.  It's actually just a 'secret' git  [https://help.github.com/articles/adding-and-editing-wiki-pages-locally/]

So you won't necessarily "lose" author information -- you'll just have the author info represented in another manner.

If any authors become known, you can just edit the wiki to reference their github account from that page (or possibly update the issue in the api, not sure).