[Twisted-Python] Migration to Git / GitHub

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue Nov 17 09:57:25 MST 2015

On 14 November 2015 at 11:39, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> We then asked people for money based on this document.  So GitHub is more
>> or less a done deal :-).
>>

> If the plan is GitHub and the project is fine with that, then cool.
> If there is time, I would recommend that the project take a quick look
> at gitlab.  I recently started using gitlab to contribute to this
> project: https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto
>
> Everything I could do with GitHub (fork/pull request), I could do with
> GitLab.
> I found the UI slightly better than GitHub.
> Also with GitLab, I found that Continuous Integration seems to be integrated
> better than GitHub, such as for this merge request:
>
> https://gitlab.com/rodrigc/m2crypto/commit/31140cf41b38676e4e96330678d75817d9857b97/ci

For now, the funds were raised to migrate to GitHub, so we can not use
them to do other things.

> I have experience with migrating a ticket database and wiki from
> Trac -> Redmine for https://bugs.freenas.org, while the repository was on
> GitHub, and migrating
> the commit triggers so that commits on GitHub updated the ticket database
> in Redmine.

We will stay on Trac for issues... at least for now.

I have no idea how we can migrate to any issue tracker without losing
data if we don't have full access to the database.

All cloud based API don't allow us to impersonate users, so we will
lose the author information.

This is one reason why I started this conversation.

If you know how we can migrate to GitHub issues or GitLab or any other
bug track system without losing data please let us know.

> In addition to doing SVN -> Git, is the Twisted project interested
> in doing Trac -> GitHub for the tickets *and* wiki?

[snip]
We don't plan to migrate to GitHub Issues / GitHub Wiki / GitHub Pages

> It is possible to migrate in stages, i.e.
> (1)  SVN -> Git
> (2)  Trac tickets -> GitHub tickets
> (3)  Trac wiki -> GitHub wiki
>
> However, gluing all these pieces together can be a lot of work,
> and it might be better just to do a "big bang" and migrate everything over
> in one shot.

The requirement is to not disrupt the dev process and to not lose data/metadata.

GitHub issues are pretty basic and we have little control over
them.... so at least in the first phase we will not try to migrate to
GitHub issues.

We will just move to cloud based Git hosting as main repo ... and see
how we can migrate form a system based on shell-scripts hooks to
web-hooks.

I see it as a good thing, as it will leave the door open for GitLab or
other platforms.

--
Adi Roiban