[Twisted-Python] Migration to Git / GitHub

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Sun Nov 15 02:10:49 MST 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 at 22:41 Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So I am bringing this to the list for a greater audience and to reach
> all borders and timezones :)

Thanks!

> General rules by Glyph as they were sent to me :)
>
> Development can't stop, the website can't go down, and we can't lose
> any data. If you have a plan that migrates absolutely everything to
> github, including all of our issues to github issues, and all of our
> review queue stuff to github PRs, that is fine.

Glyph, would it be OK to have, say, a half-hour period where people
couldn't file tickets?

You cannot, however, just push everything to github and delete the
> ticket database and all the outstanding branches and just say "okay
> everybody file github issues now". There has to be clear communication
> about what a developer who shows up on any given day to work on a
> Twisted ticket should do.
>
> Current requirements from Glyph:
>
> - be able to accept PRs on github.com
> - host code primarily on github
> - make sure all the same committers still have access (at least active
> ones)
> - make sure the website doesn't go down
> - break as little functionality as possible (kenaan, highscores, etc)

I'd suggest making a list of such things.

> - communicate clearly to contributors what they have to do in order to

work on Twisted in every step of the process

This means email to this list, and updates to documentation both in the
code base and on the wiki.

> ------
>
> Also from Glyph
>
> there are lots of "nice to have" things like it would be nice to have
> people authenticate to twistedmatrix.com via github so we can get rid
> of our terrible auth database  and so they have one set of credentials
> for working
>
> It would be nice if we could automatically sync any relevant
> information between PRs and issues
>
> -----------

All of the above constitutes requirements and constraints rather than a
plan per se. I've found it useful to have such things written down
somewhere more solid (normally, a Google doc) so that when I think I'm done
I have something to check against.

Questions below are about the plan. I'm asking questions

> I would prefer to do baby steps and as a start just have the main repo
> in git hosted by github.com.

Fully agree w/ baby steps.

Could you provide some more details about what this means? Oh, I just
reread further down and see you'll be sending a more detailed plan through
later. Carry on.

> Using GitHub it will force us (for the better or for the worse) to
> rethink the infrastructure using web hooks... and for "modern" hosting
> platforms.

This sounds as if you're saying that some functionality will be broken
initially. I'm personally OK with that, but it would be good to get some
sense of which functionality.

> Once we have webhooks we should be able to migrate to any other
> provider... so it should be for the better

Quite right.

> Also, we need to migrate to GitHub as this was already agreed (one
> year ago) ... and if we re-start the conversation regarding the
> hosting platform, we are back on point 0 and still on SVN.

Amen.

> We don't plan to migrate to GitHub Issues / GitHub Wiki / GitHub Pages

Ah, OK. This makes the comments about Github Auth make a lot more sense.

> -------------
>
> So... if you have anything to comment regarding the git / github.com
> migration please send your feedback.

Later we will announce the plan , break it into small task and start
> working on them.

Oh right. I look forward to this. May I suggest that one component of the
plan be a timeline of the migration, where at each stage we show both the
things done by the migrator and the experience of Twisted developers during
that time?

> Cheers
> Adi Roiban

Thanks Adi. Great to see this happening.

jml