[Twisted-Python] Migration to Git / GitHub

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Sat Nov 14 02:39:05 MST 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> We then asked people for money based on this document.  So GitHub is more
> or less a done deal :-).

If the plan is GitHub and the project is fine with that, then cool.
If there is time, I would recommend that the project take a quick look
at gitlab.  I recently started using gitlab to contribute to this
project: https://gitlab.com/m2crypto/m2crypto

Everything I could do with GitHub (fork/pull request), I could do with
GitLab.
I found the UI slightly better than GitHub.
Also with GitLab, I found that Continuous Integration seems to be integrated
better than GitHub, such as for this merge request:

https://gitlab.com/rodrigc/m2crypto/commit/31140cf41b38676e4e96330678d75817d9857b97/ci

So the hosted version of GitLab is pretty cool.
I have also seen the free version of GitLab set up locally at a startup
in Silicon Valley, and the out of the box functionality for free is amazing,
and comparable to gitlab.com and GitHub.

I have experience with migrating a ticket database and wiki from
Trac -> Redmine for https://bugs.freenas.org, while the repository was on
GitHub, and migrating
the commit triggers so that commits on GitHub updated the ticket database
in Redmine.

There is no rocket science, but there are a lot of interconnected pieces,
which makes debugging interesting.  I can give advice to anyone who is
working on this.

In addition to doing SVN -> Git, is the Twisted project interested
in doing Trac -> GitHub for the tickets *and* wiki?

I have begun to realize that an integrated Git + Ticket + Wiki system
gives a big boost in productivity to a project in the long run.

It is possible to migrate in stages, i.e.
(1)  SVN -> Git
(2)  Trac tickets -> GitHub tickets
(3)  Trac wiki -> GitHub wiki

However, gluing all these pieces together can be a lot of work,
and it might be better just to do a "big bang" and migrate everything over
in one shot.

It all depends on what the project wants to do.
--
Craig