[Twisted-Python] Building Twisted 13.2.0 packages for RH 7.0

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Nov 3 16:00:13 MST 2015

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 8:16 AM, Kobi Bar <kobib at mellanox.com> wrote:
>
> I need to build twisted 13.2.0 packages for RH 7.0.

Why do you need to do this?  Twisted 13.2 is 2 years old at this point, and is missing important features (especially client TLS verification, added in 14.0).  Unless you are upgrading an application that uses older versions of Twisted, you should use the latest version, 15.4 as of this writing.

> How can I build separate package for each twisted sub-project (e.g. conch, core, mail, web, etc…)?

In Twisted 15.3, we stopped shipping sub-projects, so in preparation for that you should build your packages to depend on Twisted as a whole.

One way to do this more easily is to not build packages, but rather to deploy your application into a virtualenv; since subpackages were never really part of dependency trees on PyPI, only in operating system vendor packages, this should be less of a problem there.

I don't actually know how to build RPMs, so I am not holding out on you in terms of how to do it :-).  But if you're not Red Hat yourself, it seems like this is a less and less popular way of integrating applications, and for good reason.

-glyph