[Twisted-Python] INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: removing dependency on PyCrypto

Ray Cote rgacote at appropriatesolutions.com
Sun Nov 1 17:38:59 MST 2015

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> here are a few places within Conch which currently export PyCrypto objects
> as part of a public interface in Twisted.
>
> These include:
>
>    - twisted.conch.ssh.keys.Key.keyObject
>    - twisted.conch.ssh.keys.objectType
>
> I'm working on a ticket - https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/7413 - to
> eliminate the dependency on PyCrypto.  Right now, in that branch, those
> objects are Cryptography key objects instead of PyCrypto key objects.
>
> It is *possible* to preserve compatibility with keyObject, and we could
> deprecate and then remove objectType, with conditional dependencies on
> PyCrypto.  But before I go through the effort there, I'm wondering if any
> users of conch actually care.

We have a custom SFTP server based on conch.
In reviewing the code, it looks like I don’t care about the change (aside
from appreciating one less dependency).
In reviewing our code, the only key references are as follows:

    from twisted.conch.ssh.factory import SSHFactory
    public_key = getRSAKey('id_rsa.pub')
    private_key = getRSAKey(‘id_rsa')factory = SSHFactory()
    factory.publicKeys = {'ssh-rsa': public_key}
    factory.privateKeys = {'ssh-rsa': private_key}
—Ray

--
Raymond Cote, President
voice: +1.603.924.6079 email: rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com skype: