[Twisted-Python] Multiple plugins in "twistd"

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed May 20 13:29:16 MDT 2015

> On May 20, 2015, at 04:13, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>
> On 19 May, 09:01 pm, tom.prince at ualberta.net wrote:
>> Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> writes:
>>> You could also find some other way to split the argument list but "+" doesn't seem particularly obscure in this context to me.  (If there's really a need to pass a literal "+" to a plugin we could add an escaping syntax as well.)
>>
>> I think if we are adding syntax, then we should also add escaping at the
>> same time.
>>
>> On a related note, when designing this kind of syntax, I think it is
>> often valuable to explictly leave some of the space as an explict error,
>> to leave freedom to extend the syntax in the future.
>
> I think this is 100% correct.  This is part of why I don't want the syntax added to `Options`.  If it's a feature of, say, a "compose" twistd plugin then you can always throw the whole "compose" twistd plugin in the trash and start again.  That gives you quite a lot of space for syntax changes. :)
>
> (And of course, not introducing a syntax at all leaves you even more room... but talking this crowd out of inventing weird syntaxes is probably an exercise in futility.)

Much as I love weird syntaxes, using "+" as a separator for a 'compose' plugin seems about as straightforward as I could imagine such a thing working.  Do you have an alternate proposal that is less 'weird'?  I wouldn't promise to accept it but I wouldn't want to go with something unnecessarily weird just due to a failure of my imagination.

-glyph