[Twisted-Python] twisted ldaptor

the2nd at otpme.org the2nd at otpme.org
Sat May 2 04:37:16 MDT 2015

Ok :)

i'm currently investigating how to add ldap server support to OTPme
(https://www.otpme.org) as i want to extend it to be a complete
authentication/authorization system including some kind of directory
service. so i started working on integration with ldaptor. my first
problem, adding search support, is partly solved now. i've checked
ldifftree.py and after some debugging i got a search() method that is
able to do an indexed search of OTPme's directory (which is not in svn
yet) which allows fast search results for a directory with more than
2048 users.

but as this is just a start there will be more problems to solve i
guess.

one issue i have is that an ldapsearch against ldaptor which requests
just some attributes instead of all always returns all object
attributes.

for example the ldapsearch below returns the complete ldif of each found
user in ldaptor (tested also with ldiftree.py):

ldapsearch -H ldap://localhost:8080 -b "ou=users,dc=domain,dc=intern" -w
abcd -x '(uid=*)' givenName

Running the same search against my openldap server it returns just the
dn and givenName attributes of each found user.

Is this a missing feature or do i just miss something in my db class?

another important part i haven't looked at yet is how to implement
authentication. as OTPme focus on OTPs i dont want to add any user
passwords to the ldap tree. the smoothest solution would be to get
username+OTP from ldaptor to do authentication. maybe you can give me
some hints in the right direction? :)

and the last question for now is related the licensing. OTPme is
licensed under GPLv2. do i run into any licensing issues when using
ldaptor with OTPme?

regards
the2nd