[Twisted-Python] Removing Python 2.6 Support after Twisted 15.1

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Mar 18 18:45:57 MDT 2015

On 18 Mar, 10:45 am, hawkowl at atleastfornow.net wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As Python 2.6 has been officially abandoned for a year+ (and will
>receive no further official security updates) and Python 2.7 has been
>available for almost five years, it might be time to put Python 2.6
>support to bed. The only currently supported distro that has Python 2.6
>is RHEL6, and RHEL7 with Python 2.7 has now been out for a year.
>
>This would be in line with other major projects (eg. Django, Plone) and
>Python's porting guide (https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html
>#drop-support-for-python-2-6-and-older). We can also remove some things
>from TestCase, and there's random smatterings of 2.6 support
>workarounds/comments that we could also remove.
>
>As such, I think we should make 15.1 the final release which officially
>supports Python 2.6.
>
>Any objections?

Please keep in mind that the way Twisted drops support for various
platforms is by:

  1) announcing that it will be so
  2) removing the BuildBot configurations that demonstrate Twisted works
on those platforms
  3) dropping the development/review requirement that the test suite be
kept passing on those platforms

Contrast this with another possible meaning of "drop support" which is
*not* what Twisted does:

  1) actively prioritize a bunch of work to make sure that Twisted
definitely will be as broken as possible on the de-supported platform

Thanks.
Jean-Paul